District Outlines Vision to Prepare Students for Tomorrow’s World
Every day, the Cleveland Heights - University Heights City School District strives to provide a superior education for every student, and the effort has shown benefits in recent years, with tangible achievement and improvement. CH-UH educators have designed a strategy and vision that focuses on preparing students for their future. The District is committed to its vision of Preparing All Students for Success in A Global Economy (P.A.S.S.A.G.E.).
P.A.S.S.A.G.E. means that every CH-UH student will le ave our District college ready and life prepared. The world that students will face will not be limited to their immediate location, but will provide them with challenges and opportunities from across the world. To succeed, CH-UH students must become global citizens. The vision of the District is to equip students with the knowledge and skills to compete anywhere they choose.
P.A.S.S.A.G.E. will guide the planning and direction of District administrators, teachers, and staff. The District’s strategy will mean an increased emphasis on building the capacity to meet changing student needs by:
- Supporting and reinforcing a culture of collaboration
- Recruiting, developing, and retaining highly effective staff
- Using data effectively for strategic action
- Ensuring access to global content and the development of 21st Century competencies
- Improving staff effectiveness with appropriate instructional materials, methodologies, and professional development
- Accepting our responsibility to provide support and remove barriers related to Equity & Access
P.A.S.S.A.G.E. is the product of planning amongst administration, Board, teacher, and parent collaboration that took place over the latter part of 2007. The result is an overarching vision and strategy that commits the District to providing a challenging, future-oriented curriculum that prepares students for the world ahead.
Every Student, Every Day, Some Success, Some Way.
College Ready, Life Prepared!
We believe in our students! As a result of our deep-rooted com mitment to our students, the following core beliefs guide our work:
- Students are fundamental to our mission and their best interests should be central to all decision-making.
- Improved academic achievement is the result of the professional practices of our teachers and leaders, not the economic, ethnic, or linguistic characteristics of our students.
- Knowledge enhances our lives because it provides us with a greater understanding of ourselves and the world around us.
- Every student should have equal opportunities to develop individual talents.
- Students need to be prepared to participate productively in a diverse global and highly technological society.
- Our schools should advocate responsible citizenship, ethical behavior, and respect for diversity.
- The learning process is enhanced by caring relationships built on mutual respect, self-discipline, and responsibility.
- Accountability for results incorporates focused planning, strategic data analysis, and vigilant monitoring.
- The learning environment must encourage students to think critically, synthesize information, develop decision-making skills, work collaboratively, and apply their knowledge.
- Creating a culture of collaborative partnerships and building staff capacity are essential to ensuring academic excellence.
- Education is a partnership among students, staff, families, and our communities.
Preparing All Students for Success in A Global Economy
We believe in the power of our collective knowledge and, therefore, through the use of our Professional Learning Communities, we will build capacity to meet all students’ needs by:
- Supporting and reinforcing a culture of collaboration.
- Recruiting, developing, and retaining highly effective staff.
- Using data effectively for strategic action.
- Ensuring access to global content and the development of 21st Century competencies. Improving staff effectiveness with appropriate instructional materials , methodologies, and professional development.
- Accepting our responsibility to provide support and remove barriers related to Equity & Access.
We will prepare all students for college and life by providing a challenging curriculum (RIGOR) that connects students’ lives and their future (RELEVANCE) in a safe, supportive, and nurturing environment (RELATIONSHIPS).