September 4, 2020
Dear CH-UH Families,
We’ve now wrapped up our first official week of school. I hope that even if you experienced some bumps in the road, you and your students head into the long weekend feeling positive about the year to come. Take a look at this highlight video
with First Day photos, including the ones you submitted with our “First Day” printables. I’m so happy that we are all “together” again!
Football game tonight - GO TIGERS!
Tonight our Heights Tigers open up their season against Maple Heights High School at CHHS. You can watch the game live starting at 7 p.m. on our YouTube channel
. Please note that our home contests will have very limited attendance and will not be open to the public. Student-athletes will receive limited tickets for family members. Only those players’ families will have access to our online tickets, which will have a hard cap. All student ticket purchases must be accompanied by an adult for entry into games.
Preschool begins September 8
Here are some helpful tips for our preschool families as you begin the school year:
- Please set up a learning space in an area free from distraction so your child is able to participate in the activities.
- Children will need to be logged on by 9:30 a.m. for attendance. If your child will not be in attendance please call the office at 216-371-7356.
- A parent/guardian will log in to their child's Chromebook with their District username and password (on the back of your child's binder). Google Classroom and Clever, which provides access to classroom resources, will automatically open on the device. Most teachers have their Google Meet Links posted in their Google Classrooms.
- A parent will need to be present to support the entire lesson. Have fun with your child!
- Remember to check your child's Google Calendar for scheduled 1-1/small group and therapy sessions.
Students and families in grades K-5 who are using the Lincoln Learning platform, please remember to close out of your browser window completely if you are having login problems and always make sure to log back in to the system from https://pulse.llapps.org
. Students in grades 6-12 should login through Clever. Ohio Online students are reminded that their self-paced courses remain available 24/7, including nights, weekends and holidays. If you need help from your teacher, they are available during normal workday hours, Mondays-Fridays 8:00 am - 3:00 pm.
Childcare options for K-8
We are working with our before and after care provider, Right at School, to offer childcare for grades K-5 at our Wiley campus. The District is working with Right at School to secure all of the necessary licensing, which we expect to be finalized in the next several weeks.
We are also working with Open Doors Academy for grades 6-8. We will share more details as they become available.
Because Monday is a holiday, school meals will not be available for pickup. Normal distribution will begin again on Tuesday. View the flyer here
for locations and times.
Takeaways from the Virtual Family Cafes
We wrapped up our Virtual Family Cafe series last Friday evening. We held 22 total cafes for each school and various affinity groups. This was the most insightful experience that I’ve had during my first year as Superintendent. I hope the families who attended enjoyed their time with each other and felt heard. I guarantee that we will be doing these again in various capacities and hosting ones for the students as well.
Here are some common threads that emerged:
- The need for social opportunities for both children and families
- The challenge of getting to know students in a virtual environment
- Families seeing a newfound independence and strength in their children
- Communicating clear, regular expectations to students is vital
- Screentime breaks will be necessary in keeping kids engaged
I left each meeting with a new “to-do” list because I receive such solid, insightful feedback.
I want to thank our Family Engagement Specialist Lisa Hunt and our staff facilitators for giving many hours of their time over the last few weeks ensuring that these events were a success.
Enjoy the long weekend, and we’ll see you on Tuesday!