Apr. 20, 2022 -- At the Board of Education work session on April 19, a District team presented the findings of a root cause analysis regarding sex-based harassment among students.
was led by Ms. Karen Liddell-Anderson, Director of Student Services. Ms. Liddell-Anderson had facilitated the Root Cause Analysis (RCA) process with a stakeholder committee from December 2021 through February 3, 2022. At the Board meeting, Ms. Liddell-Anderson explained what a root cause analysis involves, what the committee identified as contributing issues to the problem, what the committee identified as the root cause for each contributing issue group, and the group’s five proposed solutions:
1. Provide ongoing training in sex-based harassment across stakeholder groups (staff, students, parents/guardians) to include:
- Policies & Procedures
- Title IX
- Full Sex-Based Continuum
2. Establish community partnerships that provide services and or support to students across the full sex-based harassment continuum (mild, moderate, severe).
3. Identify/define a safe place and person(s) that students can go to and address sex-based harassment concerns and/or questions.
4. Provide increased supervision of students to include unsecured areas within the school (i.e. unoccupied rooms, storage areas, isolated areas).
5. Implement Positive Behavior Interventions and Supports (PBIS) with fidelity.
The District’s Title IX Coordinators, Mr. Paul Rusinko and Ms. Toia Robinson-Snowden, explained their roles and responsibilities to students who report experiencing sex-based harassment. Superintendent Liz Kirby shared feedback
gathered from stakeholders regarding the five proposed solutions, plus updates on the dress code revision process and overall District next steps. Mr. Bob Swaggard, Director of Curriculum and Instruction, shared details on current work surrounding the District’s Sexual Education/Consent Curriculum. Nancy Peppler, Supervisor of Community & School Partnerships, updated the Board on the role of MetroHealth as a partner in promoting student wellness.
Additional meeting highlights
- The Board approved the appointment of Mr. Swaggard as the District’s new Director of College & Career Readiness, effective August 1. Mr. Swaggard will continue in his current role as the District’s Director of Curriculum and Instruction through July 31.
- The Board approved the monthly financial report for March.
The video of the Board meeting can be found here