Apr. 5, 2022 -- At the monthly regular Board of Education meeting on April 5, the academic calendars for 2023 and 2024 were approved, discussions began on a potential athletic league change, and Superintendent Liz Kirby delivered an update on the District’s ESSER funds.
Awards & Recognitions
Roxboro Middle School Academic Challenge Team
The Roxboro Middle School Academic Challenge Team won their third tournament of the school year back in March. The team went undefeated for eight rounds, coming in first place against 32 other teams. They will head to Chicago in May for the National Competition. The members of the team are:
- Cavan Bruce
- Colin Cox
- Gabe Dodson
- Henry Dyck
- Anders Ebbitt
- Leo Fasolo
- Corinne Gerdes
- Wes Hallett
- Nora Lubbers
- Gabe Mallamad
- Lev McFarland
- Malcolm McFarland
- Kai Taylor
- Theo Tekus
Project Lead The Way teacher Amy Statler, who coaches the team, was also recognized.
Poetry Out Loud Contest Winner
Poetry Out Loud is a national arts education program that encourages the study of great poetry, and includes a recitation competition
for high school students across the country. Heights High freshman Samira Sisson
represented the district in the regional competition and won the title of Regional Finalist. She advanced to compete in Columbus for the title of State Champion.
DECA Competition Winners
Heights High freshman Ian Bandy-Zalatoris and senior Faith Griffin-Hodge recently represented Heights High in the annual DECA Competition
. Both Ian and Faith advanced to the final round.
Tiger Team Members of the Month
The Tiger Team Members of the Month are recognized by their peers and community for going above and beyond to contribute to the culture of excellence in our district. The Tiger Team Members of the Month for March are:
- BOE/Millikin/Bus Depot: Anjali Rosedale
- Boulevard: Michael Jenkins
- Canterbury: Nadine Davis
- Delisle: Chris Cook
- Fairfax: Kristen Kephart
- Gearity: Karlene Sa'ad
- Heights High: Shannon Kee
- Monticello: Desi Stewart
- Noble: Julia Ruddy
- Oxford: Jackie Taylor
- Rox El: Cathy Doyle
- Rox Mid: Taylor Myers
Their nominations can be viewed here
- Heights High School senior Ashton Everette delivered the Superintendent’s Student Cadre Report, sharing updates on Heights High news and his personal experiences with caring, supportive educators.
- Dr. Paul Lombardo, Assistant Superintendent of HR & Operations, delivered the final reading of the 2022-2023 and 2023-2024 District calendars. The Board approved both calendars.
- Athletic Director Joe D’Amato led an initial discussion with the Board and gave a presentation on the possibility of joining the Greater Cleveland Conference for Athletics. This discussion will continue on Tuesday, April 12 at 5 p.m. during a Board Work Session. The meeting will take place at the Board of Education, 2155 Miramar Boulevard.
- Superintendent Kirby presented an update on the District’s use of ESSER III (ARP) federal funds.
- Superintendent Kirby shared updates pertaining to the past month’s work within the five goals of the District’s Strategic Plan, as well as initiatives taking place at the school and District level regarding sex-based harassment prevention.
Watch the full meeting here