May 5, 2022 -- At the monthly regular Board of Education meeting on May 3, Heights High freshmen shared happenings at the school, Chief Financial Officer Scott Gainer introduced his new “3 Things” report, and the Board approved a resolution opposing Ohio House Bill 616.
Awards & Recognitions
Culinary Arts Scholarship Recipient
Senior Jachae Powers has been awarded a $1,500 scholarship to Auguste Escoffier School of Culinary Arts, one of the top culinary programs in the world and the largest in the nation. Jachae was awarded the scholarship
as a result of her placement in the 2022 Young Escoffier High School Virtual Culinary Competition.
44th Annual Marilyn Bianchi Kids’ Playwriting Festival Winners
Six CH-UH elementary students were selected
as winners or given special recognition in the 44th Annual Marilyn Bianchi Kids’ Playwriting competition. The winners will have their scripts performed in front of live audiences June 3-5 at the Dobama Theatre. The student winners and honorees are:
- Elom Donou-Adonsou
- Charlie Douglas
- Nicholas Hogan
- Grace Kluge
- Elle Safran
- Charlotte Walker
Tiger Team Members of the Month
The Tiger Team Members of the Month are recognized by their peers and community for going above and beyond to contribute to the culture of excellence in our district. The Tiger Team Members of the Month for April are:
- Board Of Education: TeKara Ray-Carnegie
- Boulevard Elementary School: Sarah Robinson
- Canterbury Elementary School: Brenda Gadowski
- Delisle Options Center: Jeffrey Porter
- Fairfax Elementary School: Kevin Davis
- Gearity PD School: Tarhonda Ward
- Heights High School: Kurt Cummings
- Monticello Middle School: Sarah Cusick
- Noble Elementary School: Matt Hands
- Oxford Elementary School: Bridgette Bondarenko
- Roxboro Elementary School: Charles Smith
- Roxboro Middle School: Felicia Buday
Their nominations can be read here
- Heights High School freshmen Brandon Caesar and Sheridan Sweeney delivered the Superintendent’s Student Cadre Report, sharing updates on Heights High news and personal reflections on the school year.
- The Board approved a resolution to offer the upcoming Wiley school bus depot project to contractor Mr. Excavator. The District’s bus depot has been housed at Park Synagogue on Mayfield Road since 2015. Ahead of the 2022-2023 school year, the depot will be moved back to the Wiley campus.
- Chief Financial Officer Scott Gainer introduced his “3 Things” report, a new monthly initiative to educate stakeholders on school funding.
- Superintendent Kirby shared updates on the past month’s work within the five goals of the District’s Strategic Plan.
- The Board approved a resolution opposing Ohio House Bill 616. HB 616 intends to amend and enact sections of the Revised Code regarding the promotion and teaching of "divisive" or "inherently racist" concepts in Ohio’s public schools. The resolution was introduced by BOE member and Chardon High School history teacher Dan Heintz. Watch the discussion here.
The full meeting video can be found here